Outreach and Civic Engagement
OCE manages LAU’s USAID University Scholarship Program (USP), which allows academically qualified but financially underprivileged Lebanese students from public high schools to attend the university. The program aims to provide quality education in various majors and develop the leadership potential of the students, providing them with the skills necessary to build their communities.
- Under the leadership component of USP, every student is required to implement a community service project (CSP).
- The CSP aims towards:
- Developing and testing the leadership skills gained through training in the field;
- Personal development of scholars.
- CSPs help students gain:
- Team-building skills;
- Networking and communication skills;
- Project conceptualization and budgeting skills;
- Self-confidence and leadership skills;
- Better appreciation of diversity.
- Students must follow a certain process during the conceptualization, implementation, and evaluation post implementation
Volunteering Program (OCEVP)
OCE launched in Fall 2019 a volunteering program “Outreach & Civic Engagement Volunteering Program” (OCEVP), specifically for LAU students under the Higher Education Scholarship (HES) program.
Those allocating LAU HES volunteers should complete 4 hours of volunteer activities per month. Accordingly we will be sharing with you the list of assigned LAU HES volunteers on a monthly basis.
Individual Development Plans (IDPs)
Geared for scholars of the University Scholarship Program, the IDP is a live document that guides students throughout their years at LAU, and brings OCE up to speed on their interests and needs. It allows the scholars to explore their holistic potential and advance their soft skills, character development and career-readiness.
- During their first semester at LAU, the scholars set the general objectives pertaining to their personal development, including opportunities for leadership and civic engagement.
- Every semester, the scholars update the IDPs to identify internships, community development projects, and NGOs they wish to work with.